Monday, March 6, 2017

Martin Hospitality - Book Review

Good morning friends! 

I am so excited to share this book review with you all. I hope you enjoy it! 

Gemma Ebworthy is eighteen, pregnant, and alone. Now that she's been evicted, she spends the night in a barn, never dreaming that tomorrow could bring kindness of a life-changing magnitude. 
The Martins aren't a typical family - even for rural Kansas. With more kids than can be counted on one hand and a full-time farm, Gemma must make a lot of adjustments to fit in. But despite their many differences, Gemma finds herself drawn to this family and their radical Christian faith.  
When Gemma's past collides with her yet again, she must begin revealing her colorful history. With every detail Gemma concedes, she fears she will lose the Martins' trust and the stable environment she desires for herself and her unborn child. Just how far can the Martins' love and God's forgiveness go?  

My thoughts: 
 Martin Hospitality is an amazing book written by Abigayle Claire, who blogs at The Left-Handed Typist
As soon as I started reading, I was captivated by the characters and by the story. Even though this book is not a mystery, I just couldn't stop reading after one chapter. 
The Martins are a family of 12, and Gemma Ebworthy finds herself sleeping the night in their barn. Mrs. Martin shows great hospitality to 18-year-old Gemma and allows her to stay several nights in their house. However, when Mr.Martin arrives home from a business trip, he is a little on edge about Gemma spending so much time with the family. Gemma had a really sad and troublesome life up until she met the Martins. She hung out with gangs, got involved with the wrong type of people and now has a little baby to care for.  With all of her misfortune, Gemma is one of my favorite characters. Josiah Martin, age 19 and the fourth oldest of the Martin children, is another of my favorite characters. When Gemma arrives at the Martin household, she is introduced to who Jesus is for the first time. After much reading of the Scriptures, she has quite a few questions, and Josiah is the one who helps answers them. He is a hard-working guy who tries to do what's right and has his mother's hospitable and kind heart. 
When Gemma's old boyfriend and father of her little baby appears on the scene and has captivated the heart of Evangeline Martin, she struggles as she tries to keep Evangeline from getting deeply hurt. 

 I appreciate the way Abigayle created the characters. They seemed "real" - especially the Martins. They were not just a "perfect Christian family" some authors portray. There was a lot of details in every single chapter, especially about the characters. You can see each person's own personality come out and there's even some parts that will make you laugh.  Closer to the end, Gemma accepts the Lord as her Savior which I was so happy about. :) 

Martin Hospitality is a beautiful story of love, hope, and forgiveness in Christ.
I give this book 4.5 stars. 
I would recommend this book to those age 15+.

Thank you, Abigayle, for sending me your book and allowing me to review it. I highly enjoyed it (I will be reading it again sometime:) ) and hope you write a sequel soon. :)

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Ashley! You summed it up really well. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a really good book! I'd love to read it if I get the chance to. Thanks for the nice review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is superb! You really should read it. :) My pleasure. Glad you enjoyed it, Emily.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the review! Sounds like an interesting book. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there!
I'd love it if you left me a comment...they totally make my day!