Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Quiet Time With God: Psalm 63

 

O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; to see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary. Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee. Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name. My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips when I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches. Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice. My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me. But those that seek my soul, to destroy it, shall go into the lower parts of the earth. They shall fall by the sword: they shall be a portion for foxes. But the king shall rejoice in God; every one that sweareth by him shall glory: but the mouth of them that speak lies shall be stopped. ~ Psalm 63


This post is about having a quiet time. I'm not getting into whether or not the morning, evening, or afternoon is the best time to have it, or how long a quiet time needs to be. This is just an encouragement to have a time where you do meet with God. Psalm 63 is about seeking God. Arno Gaebelein wrote in his commentary that it was the early church’s custom to sing Psalm 63 as the first song of praise, and it’s called “the morning hymn.”  You and I cannot live the Christian life successfully without God so it's crucial to have a time every day when you seek God. This one-on-one time provides strength because the mind can be renewed through meditating on Scriptures. And then the strength can be used to help others. Luke 5:15-16 says, But so much the more went there a fame abroad of him: and great multitudes came together to hear, and to be healed by him of their infirmities. And he withdrew himself into the wilderness, and prayed. Jesus loved people. He cared about their needs. But let's not forget that he was a man. He got tired. So he had his quiet times with the Father alone. This gave him strength. I've noticed that in America sometimes people seem to pride themselves on how busy they are or how much they can pack into a day or a week. But if you constantly give out to others without taking time and a rest to refresh yourself, you will get burned out and your service will not be as effective. Some other things a quiet time gives you are comfort and peace. The more Scriptures you have in your heart, the more God can use the Word to comfort your heart. Finally, a quiet time with the Lord allows you to have a deeper relationship with him. How do you get to know someone? By spending time with them. Same with God. He wants his children to want to spend time with him so they can know him better. James 4:8 gives a great reminder: Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. A time every day requires discipline, but you'll be all the better for it. 
William Dunn Longstaff wrote "Take Time to be Holy" after hearing a sermon on the text of holiness. Since he was a practical businessman, he wrote practical suggestions in his poem for becoming holy. He only got it published in a Christian newspaper, but a Christian musician saw the poem and saved it. Years later when he needed a hymn on the subject of holy living, he set the poem to music. This song accurately conveys the necessity for spending quiet time with God. 

Take time to be holy,

The world rushes on;

Spend much time in secret,

With Jesus alone.

By looking to Jesus,

like him thou shalt be;

Thy friend in thy conduct

His likeness shall see. 


Be encouraged today friend!

 

1 comment:

  1. Quiet time with the Lord is so precious to me! Thank you for sharing your beautiful thoughts on this very important subject! I loved hearing the background story to the song, Take Time To Be Holy!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there!
I'd love it if you left me a comment...they totally make my day!