Sunday, September 22, 2024

Honduras ~ part 4

 May 
May 3rd was crazy hair day. Kids came to school with some wild hairdos. 😄


L. to R. Jair, Emiliano, Genesis
This cracked me up. After a break we were all supposed to be cleaning, but only the girls were working and the boys were just sitting there watching. 😅
May 17th was water day. 


All the students played water games and took turns on the slip n slide. 



For Mother's Day, the moms of the students heard the gospel, enjoyed lunch, and watched their kids give a presentation. 
Cards made by each student

Genesis & her race car and track she made during art.

L. to R. Jayden, Dara, Rosalyn, Alejandro

May 22nd the church held an international night during mission conference week. Seven countries were represented, and we all got to sample different foods. Kara's family were missionaries to Sri Lanka so we, along with some friends, created a display table and made food.




Kara and I's Sunday tradition became walking to the gas station after church, ordering some food, and talking or listening to church's messages from the states.
Something I appreciate about Honduran culture is that people take time for each other. They seem to know what really matters, what is truly valuable. Friendships are important there. For example, people would meet in the gas station and sit there for a couple hours talking. It wasn't as common to see everyone glued to their phones like you see in America. Also, unlike many Americans, people don't purposefully look away when they pass you walking, so we were always greeting and were greeted by people when we walked. And, Hondurans are very hard- working people. But many are very willing to share whatever they have. From what I observed, people were willing to help each other out even if that meant taking a couple hours to do so. I think many Americans are so caught up in the "me" mindset, what can "I" do to get ahead, or how does this benefit "me?" However, at least the town we lived in, Hondurans didn't seem to have that mindset as much.  Time and schedules are not #1 there, hence people are happier and not as stressed.  This is one aspect I miss.
There had not been any rain for many months, and on the 17th it rained! Now I was happy for the rain and also sad because the power ended up going out afterwards. It rained a few more times again and the power always went out.
Dara and sister Christi  :)
It's the most precious sound to hear a little child read the Bible. Dara is enthusiastic and doing a great job at reading in English. 


L. to R. Jair, Dara, Jayden
We learned the song "Sermon in Shoes" to go with the art project. 
Kara told me she let her students play with shaving cream on the desks before school starts and other students arrive. That's fine for kindergarteners, but for a bunch of fun, competitive 1st graders, yeah I don't think so. After being chased by and chasing little boys with big clumps of cream, I decided that wasn't the best thing for them to play with. lol. 
Jair is such a great kid. You'll get to meet him one day in heaven. He lives with his grandma and has witnessed some tragic things, but he always came to school smiling and loved to learn. He is the best little gentleman I ever did see. Once everyone would get in line for a break, he'd go to the back and literally push me out before him saying, "ladies first." 😄 He knows how to help his relative fix some car parts in his auto shop, how to shoot pigs with a bow and arrow and clean them, and how to tell his friends about Jesus. Every time I talked about witnessing and sharing the gospel, he eagerly told me how he shared Jesus with his friend or gave so-and-so a tract. Also, when the class learned rhyming words, he discovered that honey, funny, bunny all rhymed, so whenever I said something was funny, he would interject, "funny honey, bunny!" 😂
One day the students brought plants to plant on the school property. 





The Cardenas family is a fun, sweet family. They took me and Ms. Marti to the fair one evening. Both Mr. and Mrs. Cardenas have a heart for the Lord and are good at sharing the gospel and loving people. They were very gracious and patient to me and Kara as we communicated with our not-so-good Spanish. lol. They also value education and were very supportive of us teachers. I learned a lot just by watching them, and they are one family I miss very much. 
Alexa and I on the ferris wheel. This was Alexa's first time on one and my first time on one that went fast! It was operated by a guy who pulled and pushed long levers. Quite the experience. :)
We're on the blue one.
Dara & I 


Kara has a polaroid camera, so that meant anytime Kara, Kristel, and I were together with Kara's camera, we needed to take 3 pictures. lol. 

Thanks for reading! Until next time.........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there!
I'd love it if you left me a comment...they totally make my day!