Tuesday, September 8, 2026

God's Character as a Standard

In the previous post, we looked at the differences between standards and preferences. Now we're going to look at God as our ultimate standard. We can never be God, nor sinless, but we can work on ourselves to be like him in character.  

💗God tells the truth. 
He never manipulates, gaslights, twists reality to control, or distorts reality to protect himself. He says in John 8:32, "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." Truth creates freedom. The more of it you know and obey, the more you'll be free from the flesh, the world, and the devil. 

💗God respects free will. 
In the beginning in the garden, he created humans with a choice to love God or not. 
And he invites.
 He calls. 
He knocks. 
He convicts. 
He warns. 
But he NEVER forces love. 
Forced love isn't love at all. He doesn't use guilt, fear, intimidation, pressure, or manipulation to control peoples' choices. 
LOVE NEVER HAS TO CONTROL IN ORDER TO EXIST. 
Thankfully, God's love isn't like humans' love which is oftentimes conditional. A child's parent or grown-up may say the empty words of "I love you" but that's exactly what they are. Empty.  I'll say it a thousand times over again, actions speak louder than words. 
Reminds me of a book I read when I was a kid called Love Does. Great title. 
Anyone who says to another, "I love you," then continues to yell at that person, treat that person evilly, bully, shame, hurt, etc. does not love.  
One of my favorite songs have the sweetest lyrics: 
How I love to read the book you wrote for me. You loved the world so much you gave your Son. 
But you don't have to tell me. 
You proved how much you loved me, and I know.
I'll still know that if you never speak another word of blessing, and the silence leaves me with a sense of loss, I'll remember when my heart begins to question.
Any doubt that you loved me, was settled at the cross. 

God didn't only say he loved me and you. He proved it. With actions. 
We love him because he first loved us. (1 John 4:19) And even though his heart has no desire that any should perish, he still never forces anyone to love him back. 

💗God is consistent. 
Hebrews 13:8 says, "Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever."
Amazing. I never have to guess what version of God I'll encounter today. His character doesn't change with his mood. He's faithful, steady, dependable, predictable, and consistent. He's my perfect Father. (When you really know God and experience his faithfulness over and over, male attention or a spouse just doesn't fit into the picture anymore.)
Because of God's consistency, I have an environment where my faith can keep growing. 

💗God corrects without condemning. 
He 1,000% confronts sin. But his correction is aimed at restoration - not humiliation. He exposes darkness so healing can begin. 
He convicts because he loves. 
He disciplines because I'm his daughter. 
He uses truth, not shame, to transform - not control. 
Correction says, "come back." 
Condemnation says, "you won't be enough."
God's voice leads toward repentance and life. 

💗God's character is the safest place my heart will ever know. 
Psalm 61:3-4: "For thou has been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings."
His love doesn't require deception. His authority doesn't require intimidation. His correction doesn't destroy dignity. His presence is safe & healing. The beautiful thing is, the more deeply I know God's character, the more clearly I can recognize what does not reflect him. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there!
I'd love it if you left me a comment...they totally make my day!