Thursday, August 20, 2015

Memorizing the Bible (speical post 2)

Hello everyone. 
I talked about how good it is to read your Bible in the last post, but now I'm going to talk about something else you should do in addition to reading your Bible daily.  Memorizing. 
Listed below are a few reasons why we should memorize Scripture. 

1. We should hide verses in our hearts so we can combat Satan when he tempts us to sin. Jesus used the Old Testament Scriptures to respond to Satan when he was he came to tempt Jesus in the wilderness. (Matthew 4:1-11)  Psalms 119:11 "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee."
2. We should hide verses in our hearts so we can answer people when they ask us about our faith and why we believe what we do. 1 Peter 3:15 "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:"
3. It's good to hide verses in your heart so you can witness to people better. When you're talking to someone about the Lord and don't have a tract, it's good to have verses stored in your memory about salvation so you can just quote them to whomever you're talking to.

A good way to memorize Bible verses is to write the reference on one side of an index card, and write the verse on the other side. Keep saying one part at a time to yourself over and over. Once you have that memorized, you can move on. That's how I memorize verses, and it helps me tremendously! 

Even though it may be hard for you to memorize, don't give up. As I mentioned in the last post, you may not always have the Bible. And if there's ever a time you don't, you can still quote and meditate on verses if you have them memorized.  :D  God has given each of you a great mind. Use it for His glory! 

~Blessings in Christ,
  Ashley 


5 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post, Ashley! I remember back in grade school I would have to memorize large chunks of the Scripture as assignments for Bible class...but as I grew older and got a lot busier that habit slowly slipped away. This is a great reminder, and I hope to begin memorizing more Scripture again! :)

    PS- looks like your giveaway was a huge success! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Yes. It seems with our busy schedules, memorizing gets pushed to the back burner, but it's just as important as reading the Bible.

      ~Blessings in Christ,
      Ashley

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with memorizing the bible verses. Even wen you don't have a bible and you have to hear some kind of scripture it is perfect.

    ~Nabila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this encouraging post! I love memorizing the Bible and am currently memorizing 1 John!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOH, just clicked on your post and saw the picture and then realized that you had taken it. SO cool!! Your photography is sometimes absolutely beautiful!!! Love ya, Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Hello there!
I'd love it if you left me a comment...they totally make my day!