Friday, April 22, 2016

The Lord Tries the Hearts

Does God try our  hearts?

***** 
Recently, during Bible one evening, my daddy shewed us something I've never seen before by asking us this question.
"Does God try our hearts?" 
We read 1 Thessalonians chapter 2, and realized God indeed does try our hearts. 1 Thessalonians 2:4 says "But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts" 

*****

If you've ever ridden a horse, you know they listen to you when the reins are pulled. (Alot of horses do, anyway.) After the horse is tamed enough for a person to ride, reins are strapped on the horse so the rider can control him. It's a joy to ride a horse who is submissive to your commands. On the other hand, it is not very pleasurable to ride a disobedient and stubborn horse.

 It's similar to what God does to us. When we become Christians, it's as if God puts reins on our hearts. He tries us by pulling on the reins to see if we are willing and obedient enough to follow Him.

*****

 Like a horse, if we as Christians are submitted to Christ, our Master, we will go where he leads and directs us. And if we follow Him, God will reward us accordingly. But if we refuse to go where He leads us, we will be rewarded according to our actions. I am reminded of Proverbs 16:9 ~ "A man's heart deviseth his way: but the Lord directeth his steps." 
As I was digging a little deeper and searching for verses that talked about God trying our hearts, I came across these verses. 

*****


 Psalms 7:9 ~ "Oh let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end; but establish the just: for the righteous God trieth the hearts and reins"

Psalms 26:2 ~ "Examine me, O Lord, and prove me; try my reins and my heart." 

Jeremiah 11:20 ~ "But, O Lord of hosts, that judgest righteously, that triest the reins and the heart, let me see thy vengeance on them: for unto thee have I revealed my cause."

Jeremiah 17:10 ~ "I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings." 

 Revelation 2:23 ~ "And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works." 

*****

When God tries your reins, will he find that you are submitted to Him?

1 comment:

  1. These were good thoughts, Ashley. :) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there!
I'd love it if you left me a comment...they totally make my day!