Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Pilgrimage

American Heritage Dictionary defines pilgrimage as "journey to a sacred place or shrine." 
The word originally comes from the Latin peregrinus, meaning “foreigner,” “stranger,” or “one who travels through a foreign land.” The idea is that a pilgrim is not merely traveling to a destination but is on a meaningful journey of the soul. 
Behind every journey lies a story. This picture captures the quiet journey of a pilgrim: a path marked by faith, growth, surrender, and a longing for something greater than what this world can offer. It symbolizes the journey toward God himself. And the journey itself is a place where God meets us. 
There's no looking back - for the road behind has already served its purpose. 
Eyes are forward - not toward the eyes of those watching because the journey is not meant to be lived for the approval of others. 
And there's no running because God is not found in a hurry. 
Jeremiah 29:13: And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.
→ Psalm 46:10: Be still, and know that I am God...

The Bible uses the idea of a pilgrimage to describe believers as travelers on earth who are seeking God and their true home with him.

Hebrews 11:13, 16
These all died in faith, not having receive the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country. But now they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city. 

1 Peter 2:11 
Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul.

Psalm 119:53-55
Horror hath taken hold upon me because of the wicked that forsake thy law. Thy statues have been my songs in the house of my pilgrimage. I have remembered thy name, O LORD, in the night, and have kept thy law. 

These verses show that a pilgrimage toward God does not mean escaping the darkness of this world. It means learning to walk through it with the light of his presence. God waits at the end of the journey and also sustains the traveler along the way. His word becomes the song of the pilgrim’s heart until the day faith becomes sight. What a wonder that our God who leads toward the light also gives us songs for the darkness along the way.


A pilgrimage often includes leaving something behind (comfort, old ways, distractions), walking by faith (trusting God along the way), seeking God’s presence, and being changed through the journey.
It's not just a journey to a place, but a journey toward the heart of God where he himself is the destination. And how precious it is to know God and dwell with him.

Psalm 27:4
One thing have I desired of the LORD, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to enquire in his temple.
David's desire was not simply what God could give him—it was God’s presence. And man, that is my earnest heart's desire as well. 

Psalm 73:25
Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.
Jesus also describes eternal life not merely as a place, but as knowing God.

John 17:3
And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

The Bible begins with humanity walking with God in the garden in Genesis 3 and ends with God dwelling with his people forever. 
Revelation 21:3 
Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them...

My deepest hope of heaven is that I'll get to be with God himself and serve him fully without sin or limitations. And that's why I can't wait for it.💚 I'll get to experience the fullness of his presence in a way I can't experience on earth, because now we see through a glass, darkly (1 Cor. 13:12). 

Now, let's remember that 2 things can be true at once. Yes, God is the destination, and he is the one who walks with us during the journey. We don't wait until heaven to know him. 
James 4:8 says, Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you...

John 15:4 says, Abide in me, and I in you... 
'Abide' means to remain, dwell, or stay. We can live in a deep relationship with him now. 
We're like children traveling home to a loving father, but our father is already with us on the road, guiding, comforting, and speaking with us. The journey is toward him, but it's also with him. 
To me, this is the most precious thing. My God is my companion and the strength that carries me toward home. 

Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart. 💜
Naught be all else to me, save that thou art. 
Thou my best thought by day and by night - waking or sleeping - thy presence my light.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello there!
I'd love it if you left me a comment...they totally make my day!