Friday, April 15, 2022

Teltelestai - It is Finished.

 “When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.”  - John 19:30

On Sunday we will celebrate the resurrection of our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ. However, without Christ’s death, there would be no resurrection. After Jesus said “it is finished,” he died. Jesus' death was vital because without the shedding of blood, there is no atonement for sins. I don't know about you, but I appreciate so much the ramifications of Christ's death. I am so thankful for his statement of, “It is finished.”  Immediately afterwards, the veil of the temple was torn. Matthew 27:51-52 says “And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; And the graves were opened: and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,” With Jesus' death, the old covenant of the law was abolished, and the new covenant was issued in.  The veil that separated man from God in the temple was torn. Believers now have free access to God. Hebrews 4:16: "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need."  Some ramifications of teltelestai, it is finished, are: 

    - The death of Jesus no more required there to be a temple for the people to worship God in. Our bodies are now the temple of God. 1 Corinthians 3:16 says: “Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?” And 1 Corinthians 6:19-20: “What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.”

    - No more sacrifice for sins was needed. Hebrews 7:26-27: "For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens; Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for this he did once, when he offered up himself." Jesus was that perfect and complete sacrifice that paid for sins once and for all. Now when a person gets saved, he should offer his body continually as a living sacrifice to the Lord. Romans 12:1 says: “I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.”  And Hebrews 13:15-16 say: “By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praises to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name. But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.”  

    - No more priests going to God on man’s behalf were required. 1 Peter 2:9 - “But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvelous light:” We as children of God can go directly to our father with Jesus ever interceding for us, and what a sweet privilege that is.

Here's a lovely song called "It Is Finished" about the salvation Christ has made available. 

Long ago I saw my Savior bearing shame upon a tree;
Then my heart was touched with sorrow, for I saw he bled for me.
It is finished, loud he cried; Oh what love for me he died. 
In my stead he bled on Calvary; once for all Christ rescued me. 

Lo, the sky was veiled in darkness; Suddenly trembling shook the ground
As the angry crowd was jeering, mocking Jesus all around. 
It is finished loud he cried; Oh what love for me he died. 
In my stead he bled on Calvary; once for all Christ rescued me. 

Then my Savior called to heaven as I saw his love anew, 
O my Father, please forgive them, for they know not what they do. 
It is finished, loud he cried; Oh what love for me he died. 
In my stead he bled on Calvary; once for all Christ rescued me. 

Free salvation now he offers; take his gift, oh, hear his plea;
On the bloody cross behold him, join his shout of victory. 
It is finished, loud he cried; Oh what love for me he died. 
In my stead he bled on Calvary; once for all Christ rescued me. 

Up Calvary's mountain one dreadful mourn, walked Christ my Saviour, weary and worn;
Facing for sinners death on the cross, that he might save them from endless loss. 
Blessed Redeemer! precious Redeemer! Seems now I see him on Calvary's tree; 
Wounded and bleeding, for sinners pleading, blind and unheeding, dying for me! 

I hope you have a wonderful weekend as you remember the death of Christ on your behalf. 

love, 
Ashley

Hebrews 10:12 "But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;


2 comments:

  1. HAPPY and BLESSED EASTER
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good! Thanks for sharing! Love you!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Hello there!
I'd love it if you left me a comment...they totally make my day!